Tuesday, May 14, 2013

On the plane...

5/12
I am currently writing 11 hours into a 16 hour flight from NYC to Hong Kong. I seem to have adjusted to flying long distances. Although I struggled through my flight to Beijing several years ago, I am actually having fun this time! I could easily go for another 5 hours or more. I am always impressed by two things when I fly internationally: 1) first class is really nice (I’ll probably never experience it) and 2) the view from the back of the cabin with hundreds of individual tv screens flickering in front of me is truly spectacular. I actually started my college common app essay by describing this scene, calling it a “collage of colors”, and my feelings of awe inspired by this “collage” have not changed. I enjoyed myself immensely taking thirty minutes to stand in the back of the plan looking at this scene, slowly sipping on some red wine (yes this is legal, holla international airspace), and contemplating my upcoming journey.
I have spent much of my time frantically refreshing my memory on some Chinese vocabulary that I will need to use. Also, I am slightly stressing about a tight connection in Hong Kong that I could possibly miss, so I will be hustling the moment I arrive in HK. If I miss the plane, I will have to stay the night in HK and fly out tomorrow- not ideal but not disastrous!
All for now. Just…5…more…hours

No comments:

Post a Comment