Friday, June 21, 2013

I know, it's been a long time...


I would like to tell my audience (yes, all four of you) that I will be posting much less frequently and with much less detail. I cannot explain it, but something inside of me is just resisting writing long and somewhat sappy recounts of what’s going on here. I think this has to do with my comment about experiences and not fully living in the moment. I really look forward to talking with each and every one of you in person or via skype about my summer (and hopefully yours too)! To pique your interest, here is a brief list of some of the things that have happened lately:

·         Went to a Chinese house church with a blind man. Also went to the largest, state-sponsored church in Nanning.

·         I was interviewed by the Nanning news station.

·         I debated the one child policy with a Chinese government official while drinking beer and eating BBQ.

·         I sang James Taylor’s “Fire and Rain” in front of 300 Chinese middle schoolers. I was also asked, “What do you think of Mao Ze Dong?” and “Do you like Chinese women?” Safe to say I had to dance around these questions while talking into a microphone for hundreds of people to hear.

·         I ate with one of the poorest family’s in Guangxi province in a one room shack. I also ate with one of the richest families in Nanning in a modern, luxurious apartment. I chatted for about thirty minutes with the accounting department of a Chinese company which exports gum rosin- just some twenty something college grads working the 9-5.

·         I participated in a conga line with over twenty elderly Chinese people. I also taught them how to sing the “Hokey Pokey”.

No comments:

Post a Comment